What is a coil? How long do vape coils last?
What is a Vape Coil?
Vape coils are one of the most important components in any e-cigarette device. Coils are responsible for heating up the e-liquid in your device and turning it into vapour. The coil is essentially a wire that is wrapped in a spiral shape around your device’s wicking material. It’s then held in place by an atomiser head - the coil connecting the positive part of your battery to the negative.
When you vape, the wick is usually saturated in e-liquid, the battery is engaged which heats up the coil, and the coil vaporises the e-liquid into vapour. The vapour then travels up through the clearomizer or ‘engine room’, as it is commonly referred to, and there you have vapour ready to inhale. The coil wiring is made from conductive, heat resisting materials, most commonly stainless steel.
Experienced vapers who use mod kits for sub ohm vaping will often make their own DIY coil setups. They purchase special alloy wires and their preferred wick material and then spend time tightly winding the coil wire, manually fitting it into their vape kit, and then pulling the wicking material through the middle of the coil. Most vapers, however, will purchase ready-made replacement coils.
How long do Vape Coils last?
A new coil should last between one to two weeks. However, most e-liquids leave a thin layer of residue when they are vaporized. This builds up around your coils and wicks and can end up clogging your device in the long run. Whilst you should replace your coil every 1 to 2 weeks, also remember that it’s equally important to regularly clean your device.
Here are some of the benefits of cleaning your vape device regularly:
● Cleaning makes your tank and coil last longer - Regular cleaning of the vape tank and coil helps to extend their life span while not doing so achieves the opposite.
● Better performance - Regular cleaning takes care of built-up residue that may get to the atomizer and ruin the taste of your e-liquid. The residue might also clog the air vents and lead to overheating and dry hits.
● More flavour - The enjoyment of vaping is all about the quality of the flavour. Cleaning your vape tanks and coils is essential to enjoying your e-liquid as a clean device will deliver fresher and tastier flavours with no residue.
How to clean your Vape Coil
One way to extend the lifespan of your new coil and its quality of vaping is to prime it. When you need to change the coil, your next act should be to prime the device and not vape straight away. Priming and cleaning will save you the cost of buying a new atomizer head and improve performance quality.
It’s important to remember that not all vape coils can be cleaned. The coils in pod systems cannot be cleaned because you aren’t able to access them. The only solution to a faulty or used pod coil is to buy a replacement.
The other type is the replaceable coils which take two forms: coil heads for tanks, which are encased in a small metal chamber that contain an absorbent wick; and coils for rebuildables, where you install and wick. Although replaceable coils can be cleaned to some extent, it’s not always the best option largely because the fixed absorbent wicks still retain some dirt and take much longer to dry.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to clean your coil:
1) Remove the wicks from the coils
2) Dry burn the coils as lightly as you can
3) Remove the atomizer from your mod/device
4) Place the atomizer under running water (using a toothbrush to lightly brush away any residue works really well)
5) Rinse one more time
6) Dry burn the coil to remove droplets of water